System requirements for the PTV Vision software products
Last amended: August 2022
The following requirements apply to the products:
- PTV Visum 2020 to 2023
- PTV Vissim 2020 to 2023
- PTV Viswalk 2020 to 2023
- PTV Vistro 2020 to 2023
Recommended for standard installation
X64 processor with support for SSE4.2, e.g.:
Recent multi-core processor, e.g.:
or better 1
16-32 GB or more2
Disk space (software)
2 GB free disk space per product for compact installation
5 GB free disk space per product for full installation
Screen resolution 1280x800 or 1366x768 pixels
Full HD (1920x1080 pixels) or higher resolutions, multiple screens are supported
For 3D Graphics OpenGL® 3.0 or DirectX 11 support is recommended
USB / Network
Disk space (project data)
Sufficient storage capacity for project data handling, ideally on SSD
- Microsoft Windows 8.1, latest Service Pack, but not Microsoft Windows 8.1 RT
- Microsoft Windows 10, latest release
- Microsoft Windows 11, latest release
- Microsoft Windows 2012 Server R2, latest Service Pack
- Microsoft Windows 2016 Server, latest Service Pack
- Microsoft Windows 2019 Server, latest Service Pack
- Microsoft Windows 2022 Server, latest release
The software can usually be run on most other versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system as long as they are currently supported by Microsoft (see Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet).
Restrictions may apply to older LTSB/LTSC or Education editions of Microsoft Windows.
Note: The Windows version usually has no effect on the results of PTV Vison products. In the spring 2020 update of Windows 10 (version 2004), Microsoft changed the rounding method for the output of decimal numbers. This can cause the last digit of a displayed rounded number to be 1 smaller than in the previous Windows version (including Windows 10) in certain cases.
- The software can be operated in virtualized environments, as long as license access (to a license server) is provided.
For exploiting full computing capacity, physical machines are recommended.
- Administrator privileges are required for installing and updating the software and licenses.
- An internet connection is required for activating licenses on a dongle.
- A recent version of the firmware must be installed on the dongle. An internet connection is required to update the firmware.
1 More than 8 cores (16 threads) increase the computing speed only slightly. Especially for Vissim the base and turbo frequency as well as the cache size of the processor are more important..
2 For large projects with PTV Visum, PTV Vissim or PTV Viswalk having more RAM (128 GB or even more) can be of advantage.